If you have decided to get a dog, you are in for a world of fun and joy! Dogs are amazing friends and they are willing to offer unconditional love in return of some care and attention. There is a lot of truth behind the saying ‘man’s best friend’ as you will soon find out. One thing you have to remember is that during training, you may encounter some accidents at home.
Cleaning is one thing you have to consider when you get a dog. You may be tempted to buy a number of stain removal solutions from the store, but the truth is that for the large part you don’t need those. There is one reassuring fact and that is the undeniable power of homemade solutions. There are 3 very effective recipes that you can use to counter pet stains and odours. Become familiar with all of them to ensure that you have a tool ready for when you have to deal with a mess that your dog left.
Mix of vinegar and baking soda - this is among the most popular cleaning solutions out there in the eco-friendly cleaning world. It is an easy to make recipe that you can use with a spray bottle every time you are met with a mess of pet origin. It is likely going to be the one you use most often too. Vinegar does an excellent job in fighting off old stains, while soda is among the best well known odour removers.
- Recipe - what you mix in your spray bottle is the following: 4 tablespoons of baking soda, 2 cups of warm water and 2 cups of distilled white vinegar.
- Blot the stain first - before you continue with the mixed recipe, you need to blot the area of whatever you are trying to clean. Make sure you get as much of the spoils as possible, as this is what makes a big difference.
- Spray the area - spray generous amount of your cleaner on the stained area. Let it sit for 5 minutes before blotting the liquid with a clean cloth.
- Alternative - instead of mixing the soda in the spray bottle, you can only mix vinegar and water. Sprinkle soda over the stained area and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Vacuum it up and then use the vinegar/water solution following the previous directions. You can also choose to pour the mix on the baking soda, which will create a fizzing action. See what works best for you and apply that technique the next time you are in need of cleaning service.
Citrus-enzyme cleaner - if you read the labels on the products you use for various home cleaning tasks, you will notice that a lot of them state the usage of enzymes that work on a molecular level against odours and stains. Now you can make your own product to effectively battle pet odours and stains using these ingredients.
- Recipe - a litre of water, 7 tablespoons brown sugar, one and half cup of lemon/orange peels and scraps.
- Follow the right order - fill the container with sugar, then add the citrus peels. Add water and shake the mix well.
- Let it sit - before you can actually use this type of stain removal and odour fighting homemade solution, you need to wait for some time to pass. Usually 3 months is enough of a period to get it ready.
- Use the new product - use this mix as any other cleaner you normally would - on the carpet, floor, upholstery or other area that you want to clean.
Mix of baking soda and hydrogen-peroxide - hydrogen peroxide is an excellent tool to use for stain removal, as it has the power to break down the crystals of urine and can truly pull out stains. Combined with the deodorising effect of baking soda, it really packs a punch against pet stains.
- Recipe - a cup of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of dishwashing detergent, half a cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide.
- Blot the stain - by using paper towels or a clean cloth, you need to blot any excess liquid. As it was already mentioned, this step is very important.
- Introduce the mix - pour some of the mix on the stain and scrub it gently into the fibres of the carpet. After 10-15 minutes, you can vacuum the area and see whether the stain is gone. Should this stain removal technique fail the first time, you can repeat the same process again.
Now that you know of these effective cleaning solutions, you will certainly feel less bad about your pet dog having an accident on the carpet. Show some understanding and try to train them well. That way you are sure to have a lot of fun times with the pet and less stress.